Go Back   MFest Forums > 3 Series > E46 - M & Non M Series

Old 08-13-2013, 04:52 PM

SC Trojan Man is an unknown quantity at this point
S54 Rebuild advice

Hello all,

Sadly @ 102k miles my motor has got rod knock. At first we thought it was the vanos bolts, replaced them and still knocking. Then the tranny was pulled, clutch replaced flywheel resurfaced, still knocking. So it's almost certainly a spun rod bearing, sounds like it may be cylinder 6.

The car had the rod bearing service action performed in 03 but is no longer under the extended warranty, so I'm left with two choices.

1. Start looking for a used motor.

2. Rebuild the current motor.

I'm leaning towards rebuilding the current motor. From what I've gathered researching the subject and taking to techs the rod bearings and bolts seem to be inherent weak spot on this motor. Given this I'm thinking about going with aftermarket internals, maybe some forged stuff.

Right now I'll most certainly get the rod bolts and rod bearings offered by VAC Motorsports, but I'm still debating other internals to get. Rods, pistons, crank, springs, etc..

Does anybody have advice on what internals would be the best bang for my buck? Or given the 102k on the motor should just be replaced for of mind. I just want a bulletproof engine that won't have to be opened up again for a long time.

PS. This car will be VF supercharged in the future and you can check my signature for a list of current mods.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Black Grill & gills, Meisterschaft Titanium Exhaust, SS Step Headers and Race Cats, K&N Intake, DINAN 3.91 LSD, DINAN SMG Software, DINAN High Flow Throttle Bodies, DINAN Stage 4 Software, VAC Motorsports Underdriven Race Pulleys, Labonte Stage 3 Methanol & Water Injection, StopTech GT Big Brakes (front and rear), Front Strut Tower Brace, Vorsteiner CF CSL Boot Lid, CF Interior, CF MVR Lip, and Breyton 19's
Old 08-13-2013, 05:33 PM
The Janitor

Laidback is on a distinguished road
I would rebuild the motor do a low compression and Supercharge it

Live as if you will die tomorrow, but learn as if you will live forever." M.G.

"So before anything, kindly take a step back and look at your life from the outside looking in and see what you're contributing to the enthusiast community, the well being of not only yourself but also those around you and above and beyond everything else live with MEANING"
Old 08-14-2013, 03:42 AM

indohan is an unknown quantity at this point
S62 project would be very very interesting...
Would you consider that?
Chris' idea is great too, considering we have ridden and tried many VF on S54.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Wet Behind the Ears

Dking078 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're going to supercharge it, then the best bet IMO is to rebuild it.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:45 PM

After speaking to the folks at VAC Motorsports I believe I'll be opting to send them my short block and have them build one for me, with forged and upgraded internals and competition oil pump package. Has anyone else had VAC do an engine for them?

Black Grill & gills, Meisterschaft Titanium Exhaust, SS Step Headers and Race Cats, K&N Intake, DINAN 3.91 LSD, DINAN SMG Software, DINAN High Flow Throttle Bodies, DINAN Stage 4 Software, VAC Motorsports Underdriven Race Pulleys, Labonte Stage 3 Methanol & Water Injection, StopTech GT Big Brakes (front and rear), Front Strut Tower Brace, Vorsteiner CF CSL Boot Lid, CF Interior, CF MVR Lip, and Breyton 19's
Old 08-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Newborn

Eurokar is an unknown quantity at this point
VAC always completes awesome work ! I have worked with them multiple times from E46 parts to even old 2002's. Great feedback and support each time. They know their stuff !
Old 08-26-2013, 10:24 AM
The Janitor

Laidback is on a distinguished road
HEard positive things with VAC, keep us posted on the build

Live as if you will die tomorrow, but learn as if you will live forever." M.G.

"So before anything, kindly take a step back and look at your life from the outside looking in and see what you're contributing to the enthusiast community, the well being of not only yourself but also those around you and above and beyond everything else live with MEANING"
Old 10-22-2013, 08:57 AM

UPDATE: motor is getting torn out this week and driven down to Robello Racing to build the engine with forged internals courtesy of VAC Motorsports. I'll try to hit the shop later this week and get some pics.