View Poll Results: Forged pistons or OEM
OEM 1 14.29%
Forged 6 85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2013, 05:00 PM

SC Trojan Man is an unknown quantity at this point
S54 Rebuild: forged pistons???

Hello all,
For those who aren't familiar with my situation I am having my engine rebuilt by Rebello Race Engines due to a spun rod bearing. I will be going FI after the build and break in.

Given this Rebello has told me that given I will be supercharging it I should opt for forged pistons. However, at $1000 it would account for roughly 20% of the build so I am reluctant to do so.

The engine is out and apart at Rebello's, so if I were going to go with forged pistons now is the time. That said, I spoke with VF and was told that OEM pistons are more than adequate for the HP numbers their superchargers produce.

The list of upgraded parts slated to go into the build currently are as follows:
High Performance Bearing Set
High Performance Main Bearing Set
ARP Rod Bolts
ARP Main Studs
and High Volume Oil Pump to keep everything lubed and happy.

So, should I go with forged pistons or not??? Answers are appreciated, explanations why are appreciated even more.

Black Grill & gills, Meisterschaft Titanium Exhaust, SS Step Headers and Race Cats, K&N Intake, DINAN 3.91 LSD, DINAN SMG Software, DINAN High Flow Throttle Bodies, DINAN Stage 4 Software, VAC Motorsports Underdriven Race Pulleys, Labonte Stage 3 Methanol & Water Injection, StopTech GT Big Brakes (front and rear), Front Strut Tower Brace, Vorsteiner CF CSL Boot Lid, CF Interior, CF MVR Lip, and Breyton 19's
Old 12-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Mfester

L///MU Andr3w is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally, I'd tend to air on the side of caution. It's a peace of mind type of thing, and I'd feel better knowing that my upgraded pistons can handle the load no sweat, but then again you never know what could happen with machinery. $1000 is really steep though so as I'm typing this, I'm starting to feel the conundrum lol. Have you tried asking another shop's opinion? You could always try calling some of the MFEST sponsors and see what they have to say, like Moe @ The Shop.

'08 E60 ///M5
Project thread
Old 12-13-2013, 05:26 AM

indohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Orange fever's e46 m3 was VF stage 3, he might be able to shed some light.
Opinion wise, i think OEM is good enough because VF stage 2 is good enough for me.
Anything faster, e9x m3 is more worth it.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 AM

Yeah, I was hoping Jayare would chime in.

Black Grill & gills, Meisterschaft Titanium Exhaust, SS Step Headers and Race Cats, K&N Intake, DINAN 3.91 LSD, DINAN SMG Software, DINAN High Flow Throttle Bodies, DINAN Stage 4 Software, VAC Motorsports Underdriven Race Pulleys, Labonte Stage 3 Methanol & Water Injection, StopTech GT Big Brakes (front and rear), Front Strut Tower Brace, Vorsteiner CF CSL Boot Lid, CF Interior, CF MVR Lip, and Breyton 19's
Old 01-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Newborn

bigjae1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would go with forged rods and pistons. They see a lot more stress with forced induction.

Even more important...need to have the engine built for FI meaning you need to make sure you get the correct piston to valve clearance. If you have too much, you'll run into detonation issues. What makes this a really bad situation is that most tuners will incorrectly treat detonation with more fuel. In the case where you have too much piston to valve (also known as squish height) you'll create more detonation when you add fuel.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 AM
Earning Stripes

leonelhpfm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn, I wish I would have seen this thread sooner.

Question op, what is a;
-High Performance Bearing Set
-High Performance Main Bearing Set ?

I Call BS on that. Not cause I've never heard of such a thing but how can a bearing (which in our engines is a curved sheet of special metal )

I've never heard of Rebello either.

bigjae1976 i respect. what he said is true.

You do not "need" to build your S54 for a S/C application but it would make more power and Last longer.

now, if your simply taking advantage of the spun bearing then, smart move. build it and yes, build it for a boosted application

I've just never heard of HP Bearings and don't want you to get charged extra for BS thats nothing more than WPC treated bearings or something like that. now if you'd said you were getting LangRacing's Widened rod bearing kit, thats different. he feels our bearings are too thin and the cause of premature rod bearings failures so he uses a Wider bearing and customizes the rod journal.

let us know how this went in any case.

i see you started this thread back in december which was 7 months ago.

-Rico
900+ Rwhp on the new Gen 2 PTE6870 turbo.......... in other words she is Highly Modified

2015 X4 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953
Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 PM

It's funny this thread was revived now, I just got then car back three days ago. *I had the engine fully built; forged internals, ARP fasteners, and HP bearing sets. *The S54 is prone to rod bearing failure even if the BMW service action was performed (as it was on mine).

HP Rod Bearing Set:
http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...ine-p1336.aspx

HP Main Bearing Set:
*http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...set-p2050.aspx

The car is running great, I've just to talk to Evolve and get some software issues addressed. *Now I'm breaking the engine in. *1,000 miles of keeping RPM's under 5k when it goes to 8150 is a bit frustrating.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 AM

indohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Any interesting pics to share? Please? Hehe
Old 07-27-2014, 04:58 PM

I've got some pics, not really interesting. I'll post them when I'm on the computer and not the iPad.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Earning Stripes

leonelhpfm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Trojan Man View Post
I've got some pics, not really interesting. I'll post them when I'm on the computer and not the iPad.
whats up SC_Trojan_Man,

you forgot about us bro?

hows that build coming or feeling now after a few miles??
900+ Rwhp on the new Gen 2 PTE6870 turbo.......... in other words she is Highly Modified

2015 X4 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953